8th April Covid-19 Update
08 April 2020
Easter Pharmacy; PPE in PDS Hubs; BDA Financial Support Summary
Please find below a summary of today’s Covid-19 news relevant to GDPs in Greater Glasgow and Clyde. If you are not receiving these by email then you can subscribe here.
- PHARMACY COVER AT EASTER
- The Chief of Dentistry update reiterates that NHS 24 are no longer covering Good Friday or Easter Monday for dental practices which means that dentists must ensure they cover telephone triage for their practices on these days.
- When prescriptions are necessary, it has been confirmed that all pharmacies should be open on Good Friday. The Chief of Dentistry states in today’s update that they are gathering information on pharmacies that will be open on Easter Monday and will update GDPs when possible.
- The GG&C Chief of Dentistry has provided a detailed letter outlining the current PPE protocols and guidance to be followed in PDS Special Care Hubs
- FFP3 masks will be made available for AGPs in line with national guidance and while we await clarification as to which dental procedures are to be considered AGPs, the Chief of Dentistry has advised that FFP3 masks can be used by dental teams performing extractions in the hubs.
- BDA SUMMARY OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT
- The BDA have provided a useful summary of the financial support available to dental practices and their teams during the Covid-19 crisis.
- The BDA have also contributed to a joint open letter to the chancellor highlighting the financial stability concerns shared by all
- The LDCs are working closely with the SDPC and the BDA to apply as much pressure as possible, with our current focus on, but not limited to:
- Clarity on whether NHS and mixed dental practices can furlough some or all of their employed staff in Scotland
- Scrapping the 50k pay cap on the HMRC Self-Employed support package to support middle-earner dentists who have been neglected by this deal, thereafter providing clarity as to whether those who accept the NHS support can access some or all of this funding, removing the exclusion of private limited company directors from this scheme.
- Ensuring dental teams who are redeployed are given appropriate PPE
- SDCEP SUPPLEMENT ON PRESCRIBING
- SDCEP have produced a ‘prescribing’ supplement to their recent Covid-19 specific guide on managing acute dental problems. This is another useful tool to have handy when carrying out telephone triage.
Chief of Dentistry 8th March Covid-19 Update
Chief of Dentistry Letter – PPE in Special Care Hubs
CNO/CMO Letter on PPE
Covid-19 Ethical Advice and Support Framework
BDA Summary of Financial Packages available to Scottish Dentistry
Joint Professions Open Letter to the Chancellor