8th May GG&C LDC Update
08 May 2020
PDS Hub FAQs; 25th May Holiday; Interpreters; Remote Prescribing
Please follow this link to access today’s GG&C Chief of Dentistry Update. Remember, all the updates and official advice specific to Glasgow are available on the GG&C NHS website. The most relevant news affecting GG&C GDPs today is:
- PDS HUB FAQs
- The Chief of Dentistry Update includes a list of frequently asked questions from inductees at the PDS Special Care Hubs.
- They hint at a likely increase in the activity at the hubs, using more GDPs and offering a broader range of treatments in coming weeks.
- 25TH MAY BANK HOLIDAY
- NHS 24 have given notice that they will be unable to cover dental calls for registered patients on the Monday 25th May bank holiday.
- As with Easter and the Early May bank holidays, practices are now expected to maintain a telephone triage service on this day from 9am to 6pm. GGCEDS will still be seeing valid emergencies that are referred in using the up to date triage and referral form.
- INTERPRETING SERVICES ON TRIAGE CALLS
- When triaging a non English-speaking patient (or parent/guardian) by phone, NHS interpreting services are able to patch an interpreter onto the line for a 3 way conversation.
- This can be achieved using the Capita Live Link telephone service or App
- Firstly, you must establish what language the patient requires and note their contact telephone number. Try to let them know to wait for a call back from an interpreter and then hang up.
- Secondly, you must look out your practice’s NHS Interpreting Services PIN number.
- Thirdly, you must look up the 3 digit language code for the patient’s preferred language
- Lastly, you must call Capita Livelink on 0800 004 2000, enter the details and then the interpreter will conference in the patient on the number you provide them with.
- REMOTE PRESCRIBING
- There have been anecdotal reports of pharmacies not opening emailed prescriptions for patients. This is because many pharmacies are not used to receiving the prescriptions in this manner and don’t open their inbox regularly.
- GDPs should call ahead when using a pharmacy they are unfamiliar with to make sure they know to expect the emailed script.
- LDC MANDATES
- Every dentist with a list number in GG&C can and should have an active LDC levy mandate.
- It is important to note that if you have moved practice or changed list number your mandate is no longer active and you should sign a new one with each change.
- If you are not sure if you are supporting the LDC then please email the LDC and ask. Alternatively, you can just complete another mandate (duplications are picked up at our end and there will be no ‘doubling up’ of levies). The process is entirely online and takes no more than a minute.